What I’ve done since Friday
I finished the storyboards later on Friday (I got about halfway done in class). Today, I realized that I need to watch some Lynda videos before tackling Illustrator, set up my InDesign document, and worked on cropping my cover background image in Photoshop. I encountered a lot more trouble with finding a cartoon castle scene than I expected, and I’m still having difficulty with keeping this one from being too grainy.
Why I did it
I finished the storyboard so I knew how many pages I’d need for my magazine, what kind of background each page should have, and what kind of characters I should design. I got on Illustrator and was completely overwhelmed, which caused me to shift my focus for today, since I need to know what I’m doing. I set up the InDesign framework because that will be the mother document, as everything else will ultimately just become a part of it. I wanted a cartoon castle scene for the cover of the magazine because a solid color would be too boring and a photo of a real castle wouldn’t make sense with the characters I’m planning to create in Illustrator. I used Photoshop to mess with the image I found in hopes of making it usable, but I might not be able to work with it based on its size.